Re: Re: Re: Re: German F syndrome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 20, 2001 at 08:03:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: German F syndrome posted by Sven Bring on April 20, 2001 at 01:24:00:

Exactly what I was thinking but why is it that the rotary valves have to be further away from the player? I can name at least one rotary valve tuba, the Marzan, that had a short leadpipe and had the valve cluster situated almost exactly where traditional front action pistons would be placed, even including the angling of the valveset. I always assumed it was the other side of the coin, that the pistons had to be placed very early in the overall tuba because you can only make the ports on a piston valve so big before they are near impossible to place next to each other and still be able to put your spread fingers on the buttons. I've not played one yet but I've wondered about the Miraphone 189 BBb design. It looks very similar to me to the Marzan tuba I mentioned and it seems to have rotary valves and a very short leadpipe (it really is hard to tell these things from a picture). If it is what I'm seeing, I would be really curious to blow on one and see what the tuba plays like, since it seems to combine conflicting elements from standard tuba designs.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: