Re: In-laws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Been There on April 19, 2001 at 13:08:24:

In Reply to: In-laws posted by Frustrated on April 19, 2001 at 00:35:28:

Same thing happened to me, when I moved to New York after living in Texas just a few miles from the in-laws. They tried everything they could to talk us out of going, focusing on the negatives of the career move. I believe their real agenda, as some other posters have suggested, was to maintain control over their daughter. Although well-meaning, her parents were intent on attempting to control and manipulate her life because they weren't ready to accept the fact that their daughter had grown up.

We made the move, and to them I became the bad guy who took their daughter away. For awhile it was tough. The flip-side of this was that the move was the best possible thing that could have happened for my wife. The distance allowed her to be the independent person she wanted to be. Of course, this has caused her relationship with her parents to change immensely, but in a very healthy way.

If you let your in-laws bully you into passing up this opportunity you will always resent them. Sit down with your wife, list the pros and cons, and make the best decision for the two of you. If the decision is to move, do it and never look back.

Follow Ups: