Re: Re: Re: What do you charge?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on April 18, 2001 at 02:14:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What do you charge? posted by another anon on April 17, 2001 at 21:21:01:

I hope I understand your question... If there is a teacher in particular you would like to studying from and you feel you are ready to take lessons from that person, then you should approach that teacher and ask for a spot lesson. This is a way for the teacher to get to know you and your playing a little. Then I would ask him for availability on a regular basis. This doesn't mean neccessarily once a week, maybe once a month or so on.

As far as asking for a scholarship, I just don't see how you could ask for that in a politically correct fashion. You cannot assume why that teacher sets his price where it is and doing so can be deemed as aggrogant and insulting. (I know of a well-known teacher who sets his price because of his health.) You should either find a way to meet his price or make other arrangements with other teachers (there are a lot of great teachers in the DC area) or by taking a smaller number of lessons. If the teacher asks you to consider taking lessons from him and you explain that you can't afford it, then the ball is in his court and the teacher may or may not be able or willing to offer you a compromise. Be gracious in any account.

By the way, I do agree that the best way to have great teachers want to teach you is by being prepared, humble and willing to try new ideas. Don't think you can come into a lesson and impress that teacher by your playing, or far worse, your assumed knowledge. Just sit back and try your hardest and being willing to listen, not show off!

I hope this helps you in any way.

Mark

Follow Ups: