Re: I have b/t $2000 and $2500 and want the

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2001 at 16:18:13:

In Reply to: I have b/t $2000 and $2500 and want the posted by dan mullins on April 17, 2001 at 15:12:35:

Let me see if I can clear away some of the fog.

You have an initial basic choice--a compensating euphonium or a non-compensating euphonium. The former are generally considered to be better than the latter, though that's not to say that non-compensating models are not also worthy instruments.

Here are the choices (at least the ones I can recall):

Compensating:

Willson
Besson (Model "Prestige")
Hirsbrunner
Miraphone (Model 1258)
Meinl-Weston (Model 451)
Yamaha (Model 642)
Besson (Model 967 or 968 "Sovereign")

The bottom four, when bought new from a store that discounts, seem to be generally available for about $3000, with the Yamaha closer to $4000, and the occasional example being a bit less. The top three tend to be more expensive--up to nearly $5000 for a Willson or a Besson Prestige.

In at least some ways, all of these horns could be considered better than your current Yamaha school horn. But which is best depends on what you want and what fits with your playing. For a horn to take the next step, and not necessarily be the last horn you buy, probably any of these would serve you well, but that's my opinion that may be debated by others.

Non-Compensating:

Besson (Model 765 "International")
Yamaha (Model 321)
Meinl-Weston (Model 51)
Weril (Model 680)
VMI (Model 3171)
King (Model 2280)

Of these, the Yamaha has a tenor-trombone shank, and the others have a real euphonium shank as do all the compensating euphoniums. Of these, only the Besson has three top valves and one side valve, which is the same arrangement as all the compensating euphoniums. All the others have four valves at the top, and the choice is yours to make.

The prices on these, when new, seem to be in the $1000+ (Weril and VMI) to $2300 range.

If you want a euphonium that is a step up from your Yamaha school horn, and you want a new horn, then you may have to push your price range upward a little bit to get into the cheaper compensating models, or settle for a smaller improvement than you may have been hoping for. The Besson 765 is not universally liked. The Weril seems to attract more consistently favorable comments, especially considering the price, and more than one professional uses one as their second instrument. Comments on the VMI and its clones (Brook Mays offers the same horn under the Schmidt label) seem to also be favorable. The Yamaha 321 is seen as being inhibited by the narrow mouthpiece receiver. The King is considered a competent horn with a darker sound than the Yamaha.

Your budget seem high enough to do better than the non-compensating models, and in your shoes, I would consider a used or demo-model compensating euphonium. You can get one in excellent condition in your price range or for even less. Dillons is advertising a used Besson 968 Sovereign (but not in silver) for $1895. And I found four Miraphone 1258's solidly in your price range in the Brasswind's B-stock list. A used pro-quality horn will hold its value much better than a new intermediate horn, so that if you decide you must have a Willson or a Hirsbrunner at some future point, you'll get back more of your current investment. I consider that to be a big part of "getting the most for your dollar." And don't be too hung up on silver--it doesn't make that big a difference--unless you just can't stand the way a brass-colored euphonium looks.

I have an old Besson Imperial that, as long as it has the larger receiver and leadpipe, would be a good alternative to the Yamaha. In excellent condition (which mine is not) you can find examples in the $1200-$1400 range.

Call the stores in the Shops section of this site and talk to them, especially Dillons, the Brasswind, and Brook Mays.

Rick "presenting options" Denney

Follow Ups: