Re: Re: TO purchase a Besson BE 765 Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris G. on April 17, 2001 at 00:17:45:

In Reply to: Re: TO purchase a Besson BE 765 Euphonium posted by Dan Mordhorst on April 16, 2001 at 18:07:52:

Im not sure exactly how much you're looking to spend, but feel that you might want to consider finding yourself a compensating Yamaha. I played on one for a while in high school but sold it when I got into college, for a compensating Wilson. This Yamaha is called the YEP-642(1). The problem with the Besson is of course the intonation. I also find that it produces a brighter sound than what I preferred. The 642(1) is compensating, large bore, and holds very consistent intonation tendencies. I had very few pitch problems when I played my 641 in high school. I think that it would serve it's purpose for you in high school and maybe your first year or two of college, but you then need to move on to something more permanent i.e. a Wilson or Hirsbrunner. This holds true for whatever horn you decide to buy (Yamaha or Besson), neither I believe will last you for a career. By the way, the 641 is a discontinued model I believe, and the 642 is the newer, supposedly more free blowing model Yamaha put out a few years back. You would have to look used for the 641.
-Chris

Follow Ups: