Re: Worst compensation for a gig?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 16, 2001 at 11:30:48:

In Reply to: Worst compensation for a gig? posted by Jason G. on April 15, 2001 at 22:43:25:

This isn't exactly a story about really poor compensation for playing a gig since all the members of the FPO collect a salary. But this particular one sticks in my mind as being along the lines of a bad situation and a petty "employer".

You all probably remember a few years ago (1997, I believe) when the Florida Marlins won the World Series. For such a relatively new team, this was seen in town as quite an accomplishment. And the whole town jumped on the bandwagon and rooted the Marlins on. The owner of the Marlins, Wayne Huizenga, was especially proud because he had spent a great deal of money on player salaries to get what he thought was a first rate baseball team. As the season progressed, it was increasingly obvious that the Marlins really did have a chance and every organization in town was tripping over themselves to support the team. Wayne himself was very pleased with the Marlins adminstrative staff for doing such a great job in assembling the team so, during the NLCS, he threw that staff a big party. No expense was spared and he even rented the Broward Center for the Performing Arts (one of our main concert halls) to host the festivities. Our board had long been trying to get Huizenga involved with the FPO because of his sizeable wealth. The management offered to do a free concert for his party, in honor of the Marlins' successes. And they offered the orchestra for his party gratis. Of course, they hoped that Wayne would remember us later on and maybe make a sizeable donation to the institution.

Well, Wayne accepted and he even had authentic Marlin team jerseys made up for us along with hats to wear for the concert. We played that night and it was really a big success. Everybody had a really great time and Wayne liked it so much that he asked the brass quintet to play the Star Spangled Banner before the first Marlins home game (game 3) in the NLCS. We did that and he liked that so much that we were asked to play some music prior to the first game of the World Series, which opened here after the Marlins beat the Braves in the NLCS. It was really great for the quintet and some of the staff because we got to stay at both games after we played and watch the Marlins win both times.

Of course, the Marlins went on to win the Series and then the team was dismantled and returned to anonymity. Apparently, the whole experience left a sour taste in Wayne's mouth because he not only never donated anything to the FPO in return for the free concerts we played, he asked the orchestra to return the jerseys. We could keep the hats.

If there is a moral to this story it is this: Never overestimate the ability of the general public (read that as "anyone who would want to listen to you play") to take for granted the work musicians do to make a living. I still have board members(?!?) who come up to me after concerts and ask what I do for a living. People, in general, have no conception of how difficult what we do is or how little we are rewarded for our efforts. We would do well to not forget that either and always strive to put ourselves in a position to not be taken advantage of.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: