Re: Re: Tuba Colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *Lucky 21* on April 14, 2001 at 22:47:07:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Colleges posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 14, 2001 at 13:24:09:

I agree with most everything stated here... however, I have to disagree slightly on the performance idea. If the object is to perform, perhaps taking an unrelated degree is not in the best interest of that career. As someone who tried to major in an unrelated area, I found it only spread me out much too thinly, meaning that my performance suffered at the expense of doing book-work for other classes, etc. Perhaps music theory or maybe even music business would be a good alternative, if marketability in the job world is an issue. It seems that those who want to be performers / profs would have enough interest in music to pursue another area such as theory. I just think from experience that an unrelated discipline may not "jive" well.
However, I do understand the marketability factor. And yes, there are great performers on every instrument who have no degrees at all.... (or totally unrelated degrees.) Unfortunately, I am one who needs to focus....

Follow Ups: