Re: Re: Tuning of a 1955 Imperial?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 12, 2001 at 13:40:44:

In Reply to: Re: Tuning of a 1955 Imperial? posted by mike on April 12, 2001 at 13:14:23:

Thank you for your partially true and almost fully anonymous statement!

During the era of the A = 459Hz high pitched brass band era there all the time was an A = 440 Hz parallel production line. There even were more models in the lower pitched lines as anything intended for the dance or symphonic scenes only was made in that pitch. No model was made in high-pitch-only version.

I am a very strong believer in the importance of mouthpieces and their influences on all playing aspect.

However it exceeds even my beliefs that a mouthpiece with the proper stem for a given instrument should be able to lower it more than a very few (2 or 3 Hz).

The only tech explanation for an A = 430 Hz instrument I would be able to imagine is that an extended tuning slide intended for lowering an originally high pitched instrument by accident ended up on a low pitched instrument.

Then there of course is the player as a factor. Mentioning of the wind-pressure/diaphragm-placement parameter might have happened on an on-board thread of this year.

Klaus

Follow Ups: