Re: Concentration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on April 10, 2001 at 11:27:43:

In Reply to: Concentration posted by Melissa on April 10, 2001 at 08:02:19:

As someone who has lots of very diverse interests, I had the same problem for a very long time! Especially when you have a lot on your mind, it is easy to let your thoughts drift to other things outside the practice room... After a long struggle, I've improved greatly in this area, so here a couple of things that helped me:
First, I have a plan before I sit down to practice. Roughly sketching a schedule helps me, as far as I what I want to accomplish in each practice session, about how long I want to work on each particular entity, and even sometimes I set small goals for each session. This seems to help me realize what I am working for. The feeling of reaching these goals helps my confidence at the same time; a sense of accompishment is a great feeling!
Next, I try to focus deeper than the "notes on the page". While playing an etude, for example, I try to think of everything I should be doing... i.e. good breathing, good articulation, phrasing, dynamics, etc. Of course playing with all these things in perfect working order takes time and effort, but this is the eventual goal. Overall, if I concentrate on doing everything the absolute best that I can, this helps me. Try to play each and every note as though it is part of the biggest audition of your life!
Also, get rid of all possible distractions. Find an area where there is nothing interesting to see or do that will divert your attention from the horn. (For me this evil was looking out the window!) When there is nothing or no one to look at or talk to, it makes things a little easier.
Finally, don't let people disturb you. Politely tell them you are busy and suggest they come back later. (If you are in the middle of a session and don't want to be disturbed.) I had this problem too, and usually people are very understanding, especially if they know you and understand your goals (in other words, why it is important to you to practice.) I have been guilty of disturbing my friends while practicing before, so this is a common problem I think.
Whew, hope something here is helpful and hasn't already been said! Good luck, you can conquer this! (:

Follow Ups: