I have a new "favorite" tuba!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on April 08, 2001 at 09:22:05:

Just finished with my symphony weekend, and it was my first concert using the massive 6/4 VMI 4098 culbertson. I usually use my piggy because it's not a big orchestra, we usually do light music, and the conductor thinks the brass is too loud constantly, but we were doing a John Williams concert, so I decided to show up with a bigger ax.
WHAT A TUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All weekend I had symphony members coming up to me complimenting me on the sound of the tuba. I didn't have any solos, but there was such a difference in the ensemble sound that at least 20 string players (who normally don't give a rip about me) felt they had to say something. Here is some of the adjectives they used to describe the culbertson.
Lush
Majestic
velvety
powerful
impressive
incredible
broad
WOW!!!
thunderous
beautiful

you get the idea. I was a little surprised that the other symphony members paid enough attention to notice the difference. It was nice being the talk of the orchestra.

If anybody is thinking about a BAT, please think about this horn. Great intonation, quick response, and it is also the best looking tuba made today, and the price is great. I hope Charlie Krause does not mind me telling you all, but he will sell these for $6000 if you ask him real nice. He has two left at the store that play great, and he said he has another one coming.

If you are interested, I'll take some close up pictures of the details that make this such an attractive horn, and post them. let me know if you are interested.

Follow Ups: