Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew Smith on April 06, 2001 at 23:54:29:

In Reply to: Re: Easter Gig posted by Joe Baker on April 06, 2001 at 10:26:03:

(I posted this a little further up, but feel that a good portion of it belongs at this spot on the forum.)

I go to college in the wealthiest county in the state of Illinois...and that's where my Easter gig is, too. I'm getting $200 for an hour rehearsal and 2 services. I'm playing in a 6-person brass ensemble w/ organ and chorus. It's a decent-sized church. I know people doing the same type (1 reh. + 2 serv.) for $300.

As far as a previous post, I'm very much a Christian and certainly see this playing as an act of worship, as opposed to just playing a performance. The money just happens to be an inevitable (in many cases where instrumentalists from outside of the congregation are a normal occurrence). There's a point behind the music that I'm playing. It's just like playing any other music: If you don't play it with some kind of a story, setting, event, emotion, etc. in mind, then you're just playing notes that are going to be pretty darn bland. Anyone ever been to a 5th grade band concert? Stereotypically, that's what it sounds like if there's nothing behind the playing. Just a thought...but that's enough stuff for about 5 different posts on 3 separate forums.

Everyone have fun at Easter!

Matthew

Follow Ups: