Re: small cars that carry large tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 03, 2001 at 12:23:01:

In Reply to: small cars that carry large tubas posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 02, 2001 at 23:31:03:

The edge of the bell caught on the front seat-back as I was pushing the horn into the back seat, and for a few tense minutes I thought I'd wrinkled it (I hadn't). But I realized that a four-door sedan with no hatch is no car for a tuba player with a 20-inch bell. So, anyone wanna buy an Infiniti I-30?

We considered many options. As a former Jeep Grand Cherokee (and non-Grand Cherokee before that) owner, I didn't really want a vehicle that requires a V-8 to be able to get out of its own way. But I did want all-wheel drive, because it is hilly here and it does snow. We considered the Highlander (a car made boxy and heavy so's it will look and drive like a truck), the Volvo S-70 XC wagon (a good option, except that I can't think Swedish and the price for a used model was more than I wanted to pay), a Jetta Wagon (could not find a used one with all-wheel drive), and an Audi Quattro wagon (too expensive and the A-6 body has no head room for me).

You know where I'm going, and it ain't pretty. There's only one all-wheel-drive wagon left.

The biggest problem with the Outback is the four-cylinder engine. I compromised on that issue, knowing that in a year or two I can trade this one for a 2001 model with the six.

So, here's one to add to your list, Ken: A Subaru Outback VDC, which has the flat-6 engine and the dual-transaxle Audi-like all-wheel-drive arrangement with four-wheel traction control. The L.L.Bean edition is just as powerful and useful in Alabama with the conventional all-wheel drive, but the first thing I'd have to do is peel off the L.L.Bean stickers. The engine is most interesting, and the suspension tuned for the occasional dirt road eliminates the Waterbed Effect. And it's a wagon--big enough for that Gronitz that I know you want to buy.

Rick "it isn't so bad when you realize it's made by Fuji Heavy Industries" Denney

Follow Ups: