Re: Re: Navy Band AND ITEA!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Erickson on April 02, 2001 at 20:03:05:

In Reply to: Re: Navy Band AND ITEA! posted by Rick Denney on April 02, 2001 at 12:26:00:

To Rick Denny-

Thanks for the response Rick. I certainly do not mean to sound condescending at all, but will respond to a couple of your comments, since your letter reflects some intelligent reflection and I honor your "former" membership. I was not always "happiest with the status quo" as you suggested many of us were. Several of us, among them John Stevens, Skip Gray, Sam Pilafian, Fritz Kaenzig, Don Little, Bob Daniel. Brian Bowman, Steve Bryant, Scott Watson, Winston Morris--and more volunteered to steer toward "discomfort zones." AS for an article from "a second-rate amateur" being accepted, I have this response. You and hundreds of others are hardly second rate---your interest in this column and your articulate responses tell me that you care, but may not necessarily knkow the extent to which ITEA folks are trying, and have been trying to change things. Jerry Young would welcome any thoughtful, well-considered article. In fact, this past year Jerry has added these categories and editors to the staff:

Amateurs: Ronald C. Koener Several articles and concerns of amateurs have been and are being promoted in the Hournal.
College & University concerns: Dennis Askew at UNCG
Schools: Gerald Gleason addresses the high school, junior high and other concerns
Free Lance: Doug Tornquist in LA

YOu may not have been aware of these changes....and others: Historian: Carole Nowicke
Regional Chapter Coordinator: Robert Brewer.

These people do not ask the "compaintants to do the work." They simply ask for input and guidance to help them to do their jobs better. I may have sounded bitter about the letter-writing thing, but I didn't intend it to sound that way. It was an effort to make a point. I'm a letter-writer, and do so when anything troubles me, whether it be an article in a newspaper, the lack of vision when a university cuts a tuba or music job, etc. I make suggestions and offer assistance, and it is my sincere belief that a well-considered letter written with respect and with an offer of a solution, can make a difference. You have superb writing skills-----I can't speak for the rest of the Journal staff, but if you are passionate about a subject you feel needs addressing, give it a shot. Start with a letter to the Editor, similar to the one you wrote here. Jerry works harder than anyone I know to keep fresh ideas and new directions at the fore, and was asked to re-assume the job as Editor because everyone knows this. Give it another try--you may be surprised. Once again--thanks for reading.

Marty

Follow Ups: