Re: Wood mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tommo on April 29, 1999 at 19:08:47:

In Reply to: Wood mouthpiece posted by Tim on April 28, 1999 at 23:29:49:

Last year, I met Pierre Dutot, Professor of trumpet at the Lyon Conservatoire when he visited us here in Australia. As well as being an incredible player (when Maurice Andre needed a second trumpet player for his recordings, Pierre got the call!), he is very active in promoting new instrument manufacturing techniques and designs. He brought with him a whole suitcase full of different "MB" wooden mouthpieces to try.

The only thing I can say about them is that they are totally different to anything you've ever tried. They feel really smooth and comfortable on the chops and they're excellent if you have to play outside in the middle of winter. They produce quite a dull sound without much of a projecting quality. Pierre says they are good for players with a naturally strong, projecting tone that want to get warmer, better blending sound. I found it great for quintet playing. Pierre was here for a week and I used his mouthpiece non stop during that period but, I never really felt comfortable with it. Be prepared to invest a lot of time and effort if you ever consider buying one!

tommo

Follow Ups: