Re: BERP Tape

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Howard on April 25, 1999 at 16:04:37:

In Reply to: BERP Tape posted by Dan Bradley on April 25, 1999 at 11:10:18:

I have the tape and, yes, it is worth the cost. The BERP device and the Berp tape buzz drills are very valuable in the daily practice routine. I heard a radio broadcast of the CSO in which Bud Herseth played the Hummel concerto. During the intermission, Mr. Herseth was interviewed and he buzzed part of the music on his mouthpiece. It was absolute perfection. He said someting to the effect that if you can buzz it securely, you can play it securely. I believe this is true, and I credit mouthpiece buzz drills with my ability to play reasonably well all the brass instruments from picc trumpet to contrabass tuba. A few minutes each day on the BERP for each mouthpiece can do wonders for the embouchure.

By the way, BERP stands for Buzz Extension and Resistance Piece. These are sold by Brasswind and are available for most all brass instruments. The BERP inventor, Mario Guarneri, is a monster trumpet player now living in the SF Bay area who formerly played with the LA Phil and several Hollywood studio orchestras. I think he played in some of the "Godfather" sound tracks.

Follow Ups: