Re: Yamaha Tubas: Love 'em or Hate 'em ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on April 23, 1999 at 15:07:44:

In Reply to: Yamaha Tubas: Love 'em or Hate 'em ? posted by JRTapes on April 23, 1999 at 09:57:35:

Hi my humble opinion on Yamahas is that they are fine instruments, but I have never been crazy about the sound or response with them. I feel the same about their trombones. I've played the big rotary BBb, the big four piston valved BBb (321? - Besson copy), the Eb compensator (another Besson copy), the smaller 621s in various keys, and their new big F. (I must admit I did not play them all for that long. I have pretty much playing time on the rotary BBb and the big BBb - 321?) I apologize for not knowing the model numbers off hand. And they are all feel the same, sort of no soul. I don't know how to explain it; it is a very abstract feeling. Others will disagree. Obviously some people like them. Roger Bobo plays them, Chuck Daellenbach did at one time, I don't know what he is using now. Kelly O'Bryant used a 621 in F at the army band tubaeuph conference in Jan. and sounded great. It is just not the sound or feel I like that's all. If you like the horn get it and don't worry about what others think too much, unless they say that you sound bad!
ken k

Follow Ups: