Re: Need some input?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on April 21, 1999 at 11:29:32:

In Reply to: Need some input? posted by Jason on April 21, 1999 at 03:49:43:

I can only vouch for the 2155 out of the ones you mentioned as being a quality horn. It has a totally different sound than your run-o-the-mill 4/4 CC tuba. IMO, it has a darker, richer sound with more character than it's so-called competitors (I'm highly biased but there's something about the Meinl Weston sound). It's got a great deal of character much like Mirafones, but an altogether different concept. Hirsbrunners and B&S's sound hollow to me, and the Hirsbrunners especially seem to have a problem getting lost in a big hall (4/4). I recently played a bunch of CC 4/4s back to back including B&S, VMI, Hirsbrunner, the 2155, Nirschl, Kalison, Getzen and a 5/4 Rudy. The only horns I felt were in the same league was the 5/4 Rudy at the same price as the 2155 (a REALLY impressive horn!). The Nirschl was a disappointment from all the great things I had heard (I have yet to jump on that newest bandwagon). For a solid 8k, which is what you'd pay for the 2155, the pick of the litter seemed to be the Rudy. But the 2155 is a great horn, maybe a bit more versatile. Just my opinion. Whatever works for you...(you've heard it a million times!).

Dave

Follow Ups: