Learning changes/improv

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A. Nonymous on April 21, 1999 at 10:35:36:

OK. So, I have been able to learn to play my horn relatively well. I would like to start learning some jazz. First off, I would like to be able to play bass lines for the standards. Also, when the hand is pointed my way, I would like to be able to solo over those changes.
Where do I begin? Realize, I don't have a teacher that can blow changes, or walk a bass line. So, I am thinking Abersold's? Or are there any other books to be bought, read, studied? What about these pesky Blues scales I hear about once in a while.
I believe I would like to emulate some of the older jazz. I have always been partial to Glenn Miller and Goodman. But, while I am open to "starting" there, I would also like to attack some of the newer jazz as well. I DO listen to jazz, and will listen more. I have been told that listening is alot of it, so I am trying to come up with some good examples not just of Tuba Jazz, but of others as well. I have found I like Pat Metheny. Besides listening, what else does a fledgling tubist do?

Help! You guys who've been around awhile, and who know what you are talking about, please respond!

thanks

Follow Ups: