Re: Tuba Ensembles?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on April 20, 1999 at 15:33:15:

In Reply to: Tuba Ensembles?! posted by Chris on April 18, 1999 at 23:21:08:

I have to agree with what Tom had to say with some observations of my own. I played in the Horsemen with Tom and we had a lot of fun and made some money in the process. Tom's points seem to make a lot of sense. The purpose of the tuba ensemble is a good question. It can be used to make money, and that is a fine reason for its existance. I can't say that I have ever gotten chills down my spine from any tuba ensemble experience, so as a valuable musical ensemble I don't the it measures up. It is refreshing to sit in a group with three other players and to have everything click just right, no matter what the difficulty of the tunes may be. That is valuable experience in preparation for the professional world. That type of performance is the norm. I also am lucky enough to have run a successful High School tuba ensemble and they had a performance at the SERTEC in Lexington, KY. Was it the most musically satisfying experience? No. But I totally believe that the Tuba Ensemble is an invaluable tool in the training and education of tuba and euphonium players. So this is my main point. Tuba ensembles should be used as tools of education, to ensure that we become familiar with music in ways different from the basses book in the band. I can be fun, interesting, challenging and unique to play in a tuba ensemble. If not for the public, than at least for the other tuba players. It is all in the purpose we use it for. I also don't think it would be too difficult for a tuba quartet to do the same thing that Canadian Brass has done for years. Tuba chamber music can make an impact if the right people are willing and able to go for it. There is money to be made in it. Thanks for listening.

Follow Ups: