Re: VMI 3301

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland Jordon on April 18, 1999 at 23:48:21:

In Reply to: VMI 3301 posted by T_Player on April 17, 1999 at 16:49:34:

As good as the Bessons? Depends on what you'd describe as "good" -- that's really subjective.
My 3302 plays like a really good CC, basically (very close to a PT-4P, a smidgen lighter than a PT-6, but still a dark BBb sound). I like it a lot, but it's definitely different than the Besson BBb's. I'd say the 3301/3302 has cleaner attacks & releases, plus a clearer, more pure sound than nearly every other BBb I've tried.

I will give credit where it's due -- the Bessons I've played on have had a nice heavy bottom to their sound. I once thought that they would play like the Yamaha Besson-esque YBB-201 and 321 tubas, but now I think Besson had it right the first time. The new front-action BBb is a darn good tuba, best suited (IMHO) for ensemble playing.

I have talked with somebody via email who got himself a 3302 to use in his brass band, and at last contact, he was really enjoying it. If he's reading this, maybe he can tell what he's found. One of the Army bands is going to get a set too, and we'll have some opinions from there eventually.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: