Re: colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryan Scott on April 16, 1999 at 17:26:02:

In Reply to: colleges posted by Kevin K on April 15, 1999 at 18:08:51:

When I looked at a school, the schools I looked at I researched and found out who their past students were. In the case at Eastman, Don Harry, his student Matt Good just won a job with the Dallas Symphony. Juilliard, Warren Deck's students pretty much get jobs in major orchestra's some time after they graduate. Though there probably are times when these guy's students don't produce, they try their best at picking students they believe will win the next big job or they simply won't take them into the studio.
I also auditioned at Cincinatti, Southern Methodist, DePaul, and Arizona. All schools that have good tuba studio's. The one I finally chose was SMU because of Matt Good, Don Harry's former student. It's important to study with some one who can help you get a foot in the door.
For instance, I have a friend that just started at Curtis on the bass trombone. He is subbing with some major orchestras around the east coast now partly because he studies with Blair Bolinger. So it's an important thing to be studying with some one who A) knows their stuff, and B) people know him...

Thats all I have to add. Hope it goes well Kevin.
-RYAN

Follow Ups: