Re: Re: colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven on April 16, 1999 at 00:12:36:

In Reply to: Re: colleges posted by Orchestral-schmorchestral on April 15, 1999 at 22:09:22:

First of all to answer the original questions, if this kids goal is to become an orchestral tubist and is looking for one of the best schools he needs to find out which teacher has been getting his students the most jobs. Look at the teacher's "track record" and see how many of his students have landed jobs.
I think its wise to pursue other musical outlets besides orchestral excerpts, but I think to imply that most tuba professors are just "doctors of tubaology" is a little far fetched. Regardless of the fact that they might not be good enough as players to win big jobs, that's not the part of their profession they're known for...they're known for there teaching. There are many instances where teachers used to be amazing players and are now better known for there amazing teaching, but that's what makes people want to come study with them. And to look at it from the opposite view point, there are plenty of AMAZING tubists out there that are just naturals and can't teach students what came to naturally to them when they were their age. I think pursuing an orchestra position is a very high goal, as everyone will tell you, its not easy in the slightest. Just be sure you expand your "musical horizons" further than just the excerpts. Just my two cents.

Follow Ups: