Re: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on April 15, 1999 at 08:27:35:

In Reply to: No decent New F tubas on the market (me out-of-step? too picky?) posted by Joe Sellmansberger on April 14, 1999 at 23:48:11:

It is interesting that you believe the Yamaha 621 3/4 F tuba came from their student BBb. It is really a cut down version of the 3/4 CC designed for Chuck Daelenbach of the Canadian Brass and used by him for many years. I have used one for over ten years myself at Don Hary's initial suggestion and it is the perfect small F tuba. No, it won't do the Dies Irae justice, but it is very melodic and rich in tone and does not sound exactly like a small CC. The low register is also very playable. I have always used a medium deep helleberg style mouthpiece as the primary mouthpiece on it and a Mirafone C4 as the secondary when more brightness it desired. I have tried larger 'bucket' mouthpieces on it, but they do seem to take a lot of character out of the sound (Perhaps this is how you tried it or heard it?) Using the size mouthpieces I do on it, I have never had any serious intonation problems in any register of the horn. Perhaps with a much more open mouthpiece there would be less control over the intonation. I personally find this horn to be ideal for quintets, small ensembles, and solos - it is the ultimate Vaughan Williams horn with its open bottom and sweet top. For me, it well compliments the 5/4 piston CC tuba I use (lighter, brighter sound verses larger, darker sound.) It will not fit the bill if you need a big F tuba, but with the right mouthpiece it is definitely one of the best small ones. Sorry you did not see it at best. Thank you for speaking your mind.
P.S. I am short on cash now but have 2 dogs and a cat with a bad attitude that I will gladly trade for your 6/4 Holton if you still have it.

Follow Ups: