Re: Convertable marching CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Sellmansberger on April 10, 1999 at 16:41:00:

In Reply to: Convertable marching CC tuba posted by Robert on April 10, 1999 at 14:12:27:

The only CC thing that I can think of that might be made convertable with a reasonable amount of trouble and expense are those (no longer made) front-action Conn CC's with 18" bells. The reason that I say this is that just a few years before the BBb versions of these were permantly discontinued, Conn made a "convertable" version of the BBb's. I don't think that you will find a Conn CC to do this to that only has three valves. I think that most all of the Conn CC's had FOUR pistons. Maybe that would be just fine with you (?).
P.S. Do not confuse the tubas that I am speaking of with current production tubas. Currently, U.M.I. is taking the King model 1140 BBb and stamping "Conn" on it, also.
P.P.S. If you can talk some repair guy into doing WAY too much work for you for cheap, the Yamaha 201/321 (big ugly top-action thing) might be a good candidate for a CC cut-down: 1/ Yamaha already makes a convertable version of this, so the marching mouthpipe, receiver, bracing, etc. is already available to buy. 2/ This tuba is built so "tall and lanky" that it would probably be an easier cut-down job than many other tubas.

Follow Ups: