Re: Re: Re: Compensating/non-compensating?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Evans on April 08, 1999 at 01:58:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Compensating/non-compensating?! posted by Howard on April 07, 1999 at 18:51:27:

It's the popular Besson model 983 Eb. If you go to the Music Shops section of Tubenet and browse through Boosey and Hawkes website you can find a great photo and description of the instrument. I got a very good deal on a 1 1/2 year old used one, but you can check with the Brasswind for the current price on a new one. I've noticed that a lot of folks on this BBS are using this model. Good luck!

I do want to point out that if you're interested in buying a new EEb tuba, there are lots of options out there. It was pointed out that the compensating system can be stuffy in the low register which is true with my horn. I have to back off on the air speed to keep from playing sharp or overblowing the note entirely. There are some great 5 valve non-compensating instruments out there that are likely freer in the low end. You may want to look at the Meinl Weston and the Willson models which are increasingly more expensive than the Besson. For my uses, the Besson is perfect. If I could have 3 horns (in a wealthier life) I would probably buy a Willson EEb to go with the Besson and a 6/4 CC. Just my 2 bits, for what it's worth.

Paul

Follow Ups: