Re: Arnold Jacobs Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on April 05, 1999 at 23:18:24:

In Reply to: Arnold Jacobs Mouthpiece posted by Brandon Thomason on April 05, 1999 at 16:23:04:

I just sold mine but I loved the sound of it. It had a deep Helleberg style cup and a large throat and backbore. It gave a very full and deep sound and played very well in tune on my 5/4 Mirafone 1290 CC (short leadpipe, piston valves, large flair). I even tried it on my Yamaha YFB621 3/4 F tuba a couple of times, but I think it is a little too big for that and I will continue to use my custom modified Helleberg on that one. My only complaints were that the inner rim was too sharp and it was too physically light weight (about 6 oz compared to 8-11 oz for other mouthpieces.) Terry Warburton is now cutting me the 'perfect' (for me) mouthpiece - an Arnold Jacobs mouthpiece with a Mirafone C-4 (very comfortable, rounded rim - great for people with crooked teeth, long practice sessions, and designed by Roger Bobo) and about double the mass (heavyweight) of the original to add a little more of a solid feeling (I guess with Jake's big York, a lightweight mouthpiece was as much of a problem).
The mouthpiece I described is the perfect one for me at this juncture in life on a certain horn. I would certainly recommend the Arnold Jacobs mouthpiece, but it might not work for you or on your horn. Try several different ones, find one that works for you, and STICK WITH IT. Prior to acquiring the Jacobs a year and a half ago, I played on the same two mouthpieces (one for solo / F tuba and one large orchestral) for almost ten years. If I like the one I get back from Terry, I will probably use that for another ten.
These opinions are mine only and are intended as suggestions.
No animals were harmed during the making of my mouthpiece.
Thanks for the forum.
Marty Neilan

Follow Ups: